Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am

More
3 years 10 months ago #34024 by BarryR
This Sunday's ride is the "Out and back again" route. No-drop as always.

The ride will take 60 to 90 minutes. You can drop out during it if you're short of time. A recent change in Zwift means you can join the ride up to 30 minutes after it has started, but you can't join it after that.

All welcome, any age, any level, and from Zwift first timers to hardened old hands. Zwift's "no-drop" magic means the group will stay together no matter how hard you ride on the front or how easy you take it on the back. If you haven't tried a Zwift meetup before, or even if you haven't used Zwift before, this is an ideal way to start. If you need help getting set up for Zwift look at recent posts here in the forum, or just post a question below. We're here to help.

Join the Ride

1. Make sure you're following Orwell Wheelers on Zwift. Use the "Zwift companion app" on your phone to find "Orwell Wheelers" and follow it.

2. Just post your Zwift name below and you'll receive an invitation on the Zwift companion app on your phone.

3. Don't forget to accept the invitation so that you can join the ride.

Then just get set up and log in to Zwift 10 or 15 minutes before the meetup is scheduled to start. The extra time is to allow for things you've forgotten, things that aren't working as they should, and Zwift updates that may be needed. Start riding on any route, and a few minutes before the start time a message will pop up asking if you want to join the meetup.

Ride banter

We'll be using Discord for voice chat during the ride. If you've already joined the Orwell Discord channel then all you have to do is log in to Discord again before the ride.

The club has used this successfully for chat during many online activities. If you haven't tried it yet give it a go this time. It adds hugely to your ride experience, and it's really easy to set up - just install the software, create an account, and click on the link below.

If you haven't yet joined the Orwell Discord channel, then install the Discord app on your computer or phone, create an account for yourself, and then click on this link:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If there's a choice, select "open with Discord". If required, select "Join". Click on the Orwell yellow O icon. There is a text channel and a voice channel. To get to the voice channel, click on the menu icon (3-lines) if necessary, then under "Voice channels" click on "Group ride banter". If requested, grant Discord the permissions it needs to use your microphone and speakers.

Reconnect to the Discord channel before our ride starts by logging back in to Discord and selecting "Group ride banter" as above. There's no need to keep the Discord app displayed, it will work perfectly well in the background or with the screen off.

Headphones or earbuds + microphone are strongly recommended. You'll hear better, and others will hear you better. Please try to keep your microphone muted when you're not talking, to avoid background noises from trainers, pets, children etc being heard by everyone.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Twomey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #34025 by Padraig Cunningham
Replied by Padraig Cunningham on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry,
Can you add me.
Pádraig Cunningham

More
3 years 10 months ago #34026 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
John Anslow

Thanks Barry

More
3 years 10 months ago #34027 by Tom Crotty
Replied by Tom Crotty on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Thanks Barry, please add me. tom Crotty

More
3 years 10 months ago #34028 by John B McElligott
Replied by John B McElligott on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Thank you. Please add me. John McElligott

More
3 years 10 months ago #34029 by John Twomey
Replied by John Twomey on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry,
Count me in.
Thanks
John

More
3 years 10 months ago #34030 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Me too please and thanks
Louise

More
3 years 10 months ago #34031 by Muirna Walsh
Replied by Muirna Walsh on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Count me in too Barry. Thanks for organising.
Muirna

More
3 years 10 months ago #34032 by Ronan Simms
Replied by Ronan Simms on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry
Can you add me
Ronan Simms

More
3 years 10 months ago #34033 by Fergal O'Sullivan
Replied by Fergal O'Sullivan on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry

Can you count me in as well please

Regards

Fergal

More
3 years 10 months ago #34034 by Hugh Butler
Replied by Hugh Butler on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry
Sign me up thanks
Hugh

More
3 years 10 months ago #34043 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Still time to join the ride. Better than riding around in a circle on your own. Just post your name below.

And if you've already done that don't forget to accept the invitation on the Zwift Companion app on your phone.

More
3 years 10 months ago #34044 by Peadar Corbally
Replied by Peadar Corbally on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry
Could you add me

Peadar

More
3 years 10 months ago #34046 by BarryR
Ronan, it seemed to me that you join the ride this morning about 40 minutes after the start - is that right? I thought joining a Zwift meetup was only possible up to 30 minutes after the start. Maybe they changed it...

More
3 years 10 months ago #34072 by John Murray
Replied by John Murray on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry,

I am new to Indoor cycling. Got my Wahoo kicker 2 weeks ago, set so Zwift A/C and did a few trail spins.
I have requested to follow Orwell Wheelers Zwift Group and plan to join for my 1st spin this Sunday (Nov 15th) if one is planned. I will watch out for new posting & link tomorrow.
I also set up a discord chat A/C.
I will probably get some stuff wrong for Sunday but will see can I join in and take it from there

Great introduction presentation week before last. Very informative

John

More
3 years 10 months ago #34075 by BarryR
Hi John, arrangements for the Sunday ride have just gone up. You'll be very welcome, and don't worry if stuff doesn't all work out as you want. You can't be any worse than Leonard when he started!

The main thing is to get logged in to Zwift and begin riding at least 10 or 15 minutes before the scheduled start. Choose Watopia and any route and just start cycling. It will prompt you to join the meetup. When you do, you'll find yourself pedalling a virtual trainer at the side of the road. Other riders from our group will appear near you, and at the start time your virtual trainer will disappear and your pedalling will start moving you up the road.

One check: are you still on your free trial on Zwift or have you started to pay for your Zwift account? If still on the free trial there's a high risk that it will expire during the ride on Sunday.

"See" you on Sunday.

More
3 years 10 months ago #34076 by John Murray
Replied by John Murray on topic Sunday ride on Zwift, 8th November, 10.30am
Hi Barry
Thanks for info and adding me to the group.
I have already signed up for a full Zwift A/C

Looking forward to Sunday's spin (Might regret that.. !!! )

John

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds