Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

More
4 years 5 months ago #32172 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

Cheers for organizing.

I think it’s a good idea but I had issues with the apps and am interested to hear if anyone else had problems. At the start it said the race was starting in 30 seconds but started straight away. Then around lap 10 the iPad app seemed to lose connection and I came to a stop. The phone app seemed to keep going but then it stopped and then iPad started working. It was fine for the rest of the race but just on the iPad.

I’m guessing it’s my phone but it’s a pity it needs both apps to work.

I haven’t had any problems myself yet, but from having read up on it there are still occasional problems/crashes/disconnects. I think it’s an unfortunate side effect of using such a new app that it’s not exactly flawless, but (so far at least!) it’s working brilliantly for me. Apparently they are quick to reply if you get onto support about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fergal Quinn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #32173 by Fergal Quinn
Replied by Fergal Quinn on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

Hi Fergal,

Are you using the Ipad as the screen app? When you say the phone app stopped do you mean it was no longer reading your power etc but it was still displaying your power on the screen app?

Hi Darren, yes, using the iPad as the screen. All the numbers - power, hr etc went blank on the iPad. The phone was still showing the numbers but i assumed it was a sync issue so tried closing the phone app which worked in the iPad started working but the phone didn’t for the rest of the race.

And to add insult to injury it didn’t post to Strava. So it never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darran Kearney

More
4 years 5 months ago #32175 by Fergal Quinn
Replied by Fergal Quinn on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
I was able to email the ride files from the RGT app and upload to strava. Crisis averted!

More
4 years 5 months ago #32176 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

I'd definitely like to see more of these. Seemed like it was hammer down from the start so I never saw the front,

We rode piano for the first 4 laps before the attacking started!

PS I thought I was only lapped by 4 people, but I must've been cross-eyed when the other two passed me.

Think your still a little addled by the effort of it, that refers to how many people were lapped by the leader, not how many people lapped you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
4 years 5 months ago #32177 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
That was hard from the gun this evening, and as close as we're going to get to real racing. Well worth the time and effort to take part, and I think I'd do it again. Thanks Dave.

I had no technical issues despite the fact that I was streaming video out at the same time. My wifi coverage and internet speed are both very good, and my laptop is a recent high performance one, so those are probably key to avoiding problems. I think a strong wifi connection is probably very important. Both computer and phone need that.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

More
4 years 5 months ago #32178 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
I’ll do some checking out on this for you and hopefully figure it out for the next race
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fergal Quinn

More
4 years 5 months ago #32179 by Dave Mc
Can I just confirm that it was Ian Donnelly who finished second, and not Ian Devlin?

I know who the scratch group will be anyway if we do it again!

More
4 years 5 months ago #32181 by Andrew Ryan
Replied by Andrew Ryan on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Donnelly had uploaded his ride to Strava
Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #32182 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
A different angle but from a spectators point of view I really enjoyed that thanks!

Well done to Dave for organizing, everyone who raced for suffering and to Barry for letting the bystanders feel his pain!

The Discord app brought back many memories of Corkagh Park - the usual questions: who is leading, how may laps left and the only key differences were that it wasn't windy, raining or cold and my cup of tea at the half way point was nice and hot .... Discord moment of the night goes to Kashif for the start line commentary as his explained to his children (and assembled riders/watchers) what was going on!

Roll on next week!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Darran Kearney

More
4 years 5 months ago #32183 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

Discord moment of the night goes to Kashif for the start line commentary as his explained to his children (and assembled riders/watchers) what was going on!

That was brilliant and maybe my favourite racing moment ever

More
4 years 5 months ago #32184 by Dave Mc

Thanks for organizing. I need to get a hang on the corners. The feel was much better with the drafting and the cornering.
Would there be categories for beginners or amateurs by any chance?

Usually the club league is very much about looking after and teaching beginners, but in this case we had no idea if it was going to work, what kind of numbers we would get, or anything like that. Assuming we go again next week there will either be handicaps worked into it or possibly separate races for different ability levels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Dave Murnane, Zoheb Khan

More
4 years 5 months ago #32185 by Jules Cantwell
Replied by Jules Cantwell on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Long time Zwift user and felt this was something different and I really liked the draft effect (even small gain when someone is on your wheel, as in real life). Too early to say, but think I liked it more than Zwift (and that’s saying something!).

There is no substitute for real-life racing, but we don’t have that option now and this is a decent substitute for now.

Finished work after 18:30 and had less than 20mins to read the instructions and get setup from scratch. Made it with about 2mins to spare so it doesn’t take that long and ran very smoothly on my decent laptop and iPhone.

More
4 years 5 months ago #32186 by Shaun Kelly
Replied by Shaun Kelly on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Looks quite realistic Darran, far better than Zwift, I could definitely feel your pain. Looking forward to giving it a go next week

More
4 years 5 months ago #32187 by Michael Monahan
Replied by Michael Monahan on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Thanks for organizing this! I had same problems as Fergal. At 7pm it said 6 mins to the start of the race and there was a full countdown on the screen so when we took off I thought it was warm up laps or something but was 5km before I realized I was racing!!

Other than that really enjoyed it, makes it so much more interesting racing against club-mates.

Looking forward to next one.

Cheers.

More
4 years 5 months ago #32188 by Ken O'Neill
Replied by Ken O'Neill on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Thanks for organising Dave, It was very tough but good craic and I'd definitely do it again. I had a similar issue at the start where there was 30secs left on the clock but the race started there and then which took me by surprise. Other than that no other issues. My technique cornering needs some work but I'm sure that will come with time. The drafting feature works well and you really do feel the benefit from it. Roll on next Thursday.

More
4 years 5 months ago #32189 by Fergal Quinn
Replied by Fergal Quinn on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
I was looking at RGT's support pages and the timer is a known issue.

More
4 years 5 months ago #32196 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Really enjoyed that. Haven't raced in a few years, but this brought memories of Corcagh Park flooding back, including the all-too-real experience of getting blown out the back during the first lap :-).

Would be very interested in doing more events, so I hope they will continue to be open to non-racers. I'd also encourange anyone with the slightest interest in racing, that has a power meter or smart trainer to give it a go.

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds