Good luck to our Rás team

More
9 years 3 months ago #10427 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Crew was joined by Aidan Collins today - soigneur to the soigneurs, camera man, and general morale booster which we all needed today after losing Dick.

Latern rouge for me today, think the phrase is head kicked in.

Hope the weather is nicer up the Sally Gap!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, BarryR, Dan Coulcher, Fergal Quinn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10451 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Good luck to our Rás team
The eyes are closing slowly, but just wanted to show how much fun our hard-working and smiling soigneurs are having! They've been winning vouchers, and getting flowers and photos with the pros!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fergal Quinn

More
9 years 3 months ago #10465 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Good luck to our Rás team
They may be winning vouchers, but they appear to be easily persuaded to abandon a member of the Orwell team mid-massage by any passing camera!

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10467 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Good luck to our Rás team
What's a line out?

This is a line out - photo taken by Gary McIlroy on today's stage. I'm scared looking at it.
They covered 49kms in the first hour again today!
Good luck on tomorrow's final stage lads.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aidan Collins

More
9 years 3 months ago #10468 by Stephen O'Shea
Replied by Stephen O'Shea on topic Good luck to our Rás team
It's not the line that worries me.. It's the gaps. Hold that wheel please!!!

More
9 years 3 months ago #10469 by Valdis Andersons
Replied by Valdis Andersons on topic Good luck to our Rás team
I'm guessing the gale was from the right hand side? Could explain the ditch hugging by everyone.

Now I also understand the echelon comments from Brian Mc.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10486 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Congratulations to all five of the lads racing for Orwell this week. Legends...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Brian Ahern

More
9 years 3 months ago #10499 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Well done to everybody who made it happen. I'm sure the riders will admit that they are only part of it.

I'm eagerly awaiting the rás diaries from all of you - I want them done by Wednesday! I wonder what McArdles headline will be?

Imagine if you were riding a Grand tour you'd still have 2 weeks left! Well done and enjoy eating your way through your recovery phase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
9 years 3 months ago #10503 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Congrats to the whole team, riders & support. Mighty achievement.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #10572 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Good luck to our Rás team
I don't yet feel quite recovered, nor have I digested the week fully yet, but I didn't want too long to pass before posting a note of thanks. I think I can speak on behalf of the team with the below.

Firstly, to each and every club member - the messages of support over the week and during the run-in were all read and appreciated, and genuinely helped to spur us on. But long before that, the funds for the team from both the club kitty and the table quiz came from you for the most part, and for giving us the opportunity to take part in the Rás on your behalf, we're very grateful! Hopefully our representation of the club did you proud!

It was great to see familiar faces throughout the week - Dunboyne, Sallins, Baltinglass, Carlow, Ballina, Drogheda, Skerries are a few of the spots that sported Orwell colours. Thanks for taking the time and effort to come out and show your support!

There were a few backroom organisers who put it all together, without ever once seeking the limelight. People like Dave Mc and the club committee were always supportive and encouraging of our efforts. Aidan Hammond coached us from November onwards, and was always available for our annoying quesitons. David Hendron brought Ship My TriBike on board as a sponsor for the van. Aidan Collins had a massive hand in organising the team - booking accommodation and miscellaneous other items, then coming out west to make sure we had everything we needed. For the table quiz, Ann and Helen Horan along with Eddie Lynch and Pat O'Brien made the whole night happen! That was a huge boost to the team kitty, and took a lot of financial pressure off the riders.

The sponsors were fantastic - the customised van from Ship My TriBike was invaluable, while Joe Daly Cycles kept us fed and watered every day. Dave Tansey is continually generous to members of the club, but let us never take it for granted and stop being thankful!

The actual people at the coalface every day were Mary Brady and Aishling O'Connor. They were an immense part of the team - rubs before stages, treatments afterwards, bag moving, sandwich making, recovery drink mixing, van driving... nothing was too great or too small for these two very capable women. And they did it all with prize-winning smiles, and managed to snag a couple of jerseys and jersey wearers along the way! I don't think the team can thank them enough (and we're sorry we didn't manage to win ye any flowers).

Our mechanic was equally capable and quietly calm and proficient the whole race long. Again, whether it was a battery replacement or a brake cable change, Fionn Sheridan was dedicated and efficient. Our bikes disappeared after every stage, and would be handed to us before every stage ready to roll. It's a load off a rider's mind! We hope he's gotten a taste for the Rás, and we'll have a chance to support him in a future edition soon!

Finally, the man who held us together mentally (along with his three excellent assistants) throughout the week was Pat O'Brien. A Man of the Rás himself, we couldn't have asked for a better leader to follow into battle. Organised and efficient, he made sure we knew where and when to eat, sleep and ride every day, with words of advice and encouragement at every turn.

To all of the above, and anyone I've missed, a huge thank you from the riders!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Aidan Collins, Paraic Morrissey, Neal Hudson, Fergal Quinn, Aishling O'Connor, Helen Horan, Fionn Sheridan

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds