Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow

More
6 years 2 months ago #26975 by Claire Power
Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow was created by Claire Power
Hi All,

Any yellows considering this Sunday Cycle?

I’ve no idea what the route or elevation is, seems to be secret but some of you may have an idea from previous years?

www.braywheelers.com/paddy-martin-randonnee-sat-1st-july-2018/

Claire.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #26976 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow
It is a really good event small field but all cyclists. Resources in the places you need them and the selection of cakes are legend. Over Wicklow roads you might not know so well which is always nice and a tough route back from Laragh if I remember right.
Sonia O,Sullivan was in the Q to pay holding a few bank notes when I did the event and the organisers could not believe it. They were almost to shy to ask for a photo. Great local club run event.only I,m working I would be tempted
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane

More
6 years 2 months ago #26990 by Claire Power
Replied by Claire Power on topic Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow
Thanks Andrew, that’s a favorable review anyway, good to hear that!it does sound like a nice cycle. I think I’ll go for it alright!

We’ll see if a few yellows come out to join me, cheers, Claire.

More
6 years 2 months ago #27006 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow
It's a great event, lovely routes and amazingly always great weather. There's usually a few Orwells do it each year. Last year if I recall correctly there was a mix of light-orange pace and yellow pace folks.

The routes are here: www.braywheelers.com/paddy-martin-randonee-2018-maps/

Will probably have a few going again this year. Thinking about a 9am start, will post more detail when I have it.

Cheers,
Diarmuid.

More
6 years 2 months ago #27007 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Also, based on last year's Strava, the total elevation for the 120k was just under 2,000 metres

More
6 years 2 months ago #27014 by Tom Weymes
Replied by Tom Weymes on topic Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow
I can feel the moral pressure from here. But I'm taking comfort from my altimeter which thinks it's 'really' only about 1,600m.

Is it clockwise or anti-clockwise, Diarmuid??

More
6 years 2 months ago #27040 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Hi Tom, it's clockwise. In fact the southern loop of the route largely consists of doing a stretch of the pre-2017 Wicklow 200 route backwards! I checked Strava for the 4 years that I've done this event and they all say 1,960m elevation to within a few metres, so either my Garmin is consistently wrong or there's more climbing than you think!

Having said that, there are no super-hard climbs, so taken at a steady pace it's a very manageable day out.

If people want to post here if they are planning to do it that would be great.

More
6 years 2 months ago #27044 by Tom Weymes
Thanks, Diarmuid. With memories of the horrendous slog from Avoca on earlier W/200s, I like the idea of going there backwards!

Re ascent measurement: At the risk of boring the Forum public, it's a matter of which instrument you believe. For many years I've used a wrist-mounted altimeter/watch which over 11 Wicklow 200s logged an average climb of 2,600m ± 200m. I'm inclined to believe data generated directly on the bike rather than that beamed down from space.

As a newcomer to Strava, I only have Strava numbers for the Wicklow for last year and this - 3,100 and 3,000 respectively. And I find that Strava consistently returns a higher number on every spin. Hence my belief that my altimeter will only log about 1,500m on the Paddy Martin. Also my practice of reporting Strava numbers for the climb challenge, just like Ken Moloney instructed!

But the reigning expert on these matters is a Mr J. Fitzpatrick. Does he have any insights to offer?
Tom

PS After all this to-do I'll have to show up for the event and try again to keep up with Claire. Let's have some more (preferably pale) Yellows?

More
6 years 2 months ago #27058 by Rory Rutledge
Replied by Rory Rutledge on topic Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow
I'm planning to do this tomorrow.

More
6 years 2 months ago #27062 by Claire Maher
Replied by Claire Maher on topic Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow
I am thinking about doing this tomorrow. I am pale yellow at best!. I am thinking about doing the 90km route as I have only done the W100 this year. Would the 120 route be much harder than the W100? Thanks, Claire

More
6 years 2 months ago #27063 by Claire Power
Hi Claire. From the above chatter it seems there is more climbing on the 120 route than the W 100. However I don’t know what the stats are on the 90k route.

I’m still not clear if there are any yellows doing it. I think the above ppl are orange pace.

Tom and I appeared to be the only yellows interested. Tom have you decided on this or not? Claire P

More
6 years 2 months ago #27064 by Tom Weymes
I had already planned to turn up. I would be very happy to encourage Claire M. round the 120 km route at a sensible pace - if you can do 100 you can certainly do 120! The Shay Elliot climb is the only significant climb on the route; last Sunday Claire P. and I did pretty well all of what comes after that, i.e. from Laragh onwards.
Hope to cu both around 9 a.m.

More
6 years 2 months ago #27065 by Claire Power
Great I’ll see you both there at 9, Claire P.

More
6 years 2 months ago #27069 by Claire Maher
Replied by Claire Maher on topic Sun 1st July Paddy Martin Spin-Yellow
Thanks guys for the offer but I will do the 90km. Fiona who did the W100 is also going to do the 90km with me,

Might see you in the morning or on route,

Many thanks and enjoy,

Claire

More
6 years 2 months ago #27070 by Diarmuid Donnelly
For the (light) oranges doing either 90 or 120, we will also plan to be there at 9.00 for sign on and to roll out shortly after.

See everyone then!

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds