WICKLOW 200 Repeaters - Training Group

More
6 years 6 months ago #25547 by Leonard Kaye
WICKLOW 200 Repeaters - Training Group was created by Leonard Kaye
WICKLOW 200 Repeaters

This thread is for questions and updates related to the Wicklow 200 Training group for REPEATERS

• Open to members who have completed a WW200
• Already able to do 80km plus, comfortably
• 10 week programme from 7 April to event on 10 June
• Saturday mornings at 08:30 sharp in Lidl Car, park Dundrum
• Led by experienced leaders

If you signed on at the Leisure Launch, 12th March, you are guaranteed a place, however to complete the process you must register on the link below.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Leonard
On behalf of the Leisure Sub Committee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Kelehan, Andrew Potts, Peter Morrissey, Paul Quigley

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #25579 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic WICKLOW 200 Repeaters - Training Group
Hi all.
There has been great interest in the training groups this year with 156 people signing up at our launch night last Monday.

For those people, your place will be held until midnight on Sunday 18th March.

If you are one of the 156 and haven’t done so already, you now need to secure your place by signing up online.

If you have not signed up by Sunday we will assume you have changed your mind about joining a group and we will remove your name from Monday night’s list.

The Leisure committee are currently finalising leaders for each training group and as some of those are filling up fast, they may have to close soon.

For now however you can still join a training group at the following link:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

On behalf of the Leisure Committee
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Leonard Kaye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal Arundel

More
6 years 5 months ago #25726 by Leonard Kaye
ALL TRAINING GROUPS ARE NOW FULL

A waiting list is now in operation; please log your interest here.

Leonard,
On behalf of the Leisure Committee,
and the Training Group Leaders
Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #25914 by Ruth Cavanagh
Replied by Ruth Cavanagh on topic WICKLOW 200 Repeaters - Training Group
Hi Leonard, I was just wondering if there are any details yet on the first couple of training sessions? I want to make sure to block out my calendar as much as possible so I can make as many as I can.

More
6 years 5 months ago #25920 by Leonard Kaye
Hi Ruth

Ring me at

Leonard

More
6 years 4 months ago #26172 by Tom Weymes
Replied by Tom Weymes on topic WICKLOW 200 Repeaters - Training Group

In conversation on our third training spin today, the topic of how long it 'should' take to do the Wicklow 200 came up. To provide some quantitative data on this fascinating topic, attached is a histogram I got out in 2015. It shows the number of riders that year who finished in each 6-minute (0.1 of an hour) time slot between the fastest (7.3 hours) to the slowest (14 hours).

Back then, some may remember, the W/200 organizers ran proper time checks AND published the times for the entire field (identified only by event numbers) on their website. (They also issued decent, personalised finishers' certs instead of, or as well as, rubbishy little bits of tinware. Don't get me started).

Anyway, you can see from the data that the great majority of finishers - ordinary joes and jills - fell within the range 8-and-a-half to 12-and-a-half hours. (Remember that these are elapsed times - you need to add 1 to 1-and-a-half hours to estimate actual on-bike times). Faster, and you're into super-person territory. Slower - well, who are we to sneer.

Hope some of you get some fun from this.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe Fitzpatrick, Paul Mullen

More
6 years 4 months ago #26173 by Tom Weymes
Sorry - of course, it should read 'subtract 1 to 1-and-a-half hours to estimate actual on-bike times'
Tom

More
6 years 4 months ago #26174 by Tom Weymes
PS My own elapsed time that year was 10.4 hours. For a high-performing bunch like the Orwell membership, pleny of scope for sneering (not, of course, that anyone ever did).
TW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts

More
6 years 4 months ago #26230 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic WICKLOW 200 Repeaters - Training Group
Thank you Tom I now feel slightly different about the tinny medal on my wall of mediocrity. :)

More
6 years 3 months ago #26637 by Tom Weymes
For anyone who missed doing the 3 Hills training spin (Wicklow Gap-Baltinglass-Sl. Maan-Shay Elliott) a small Yellow group - 3 starters so far - plans to do it this coming Thursday.
Ideally an odd number, to maximise car-sharing, but you can always drive down alone!

NB starting and finishing at Glendalough visitors car park, NOT Roundwood. Meeting time tbc.

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds