YORKSHIRE SPIN

More
7 years 3 months ago #22940 by Tommy Smith
YORKSHIRE SPIN was created by Tommy Smith
Hi all
Myself and Siobhan McNamara are organising a cycling weekend in Yorkshire with her hometown club Otley cycling club.
The plan is to travel over to Yorkshire on Friday 18th Aug with two spins on Saturday and Sunday followed by dinner each evening in Otley and returning on Monday 21st.
Otley cycling club can offer us a choice of two levels
1. White/ light yellow for approximately 80km
2. Dark yellow/Orange going slightly further with a few monster climbs involved along the way.
The finer details can be worked out if we get enough interest.
I can travel by car and have room for 5 bikes if people are willing to split the cost of the ferry.
Just want to put this out and see if anyone else interested
Cheers
Tommy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siobhan McNamara, Eugène SKIL, Andrew Potts, Leonard Kaye, Aoife Ross

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #22953 by Aoife Ross
Replied by Aoife Ross on topic YORKSHIRE SPIN
Hey there Tommy

Count me in! Looking forward to it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siobhan McNamara, Tommy Smith

More
7 years 3 months ago #22955 by Peter Carty
Replied by Peter Carty on topic YORKSHIRE SPIN
Hi Tommy

I'm up for a spin in the dales
Do I need to brush up on the words to On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at ?

Thanks for posting
Peter

More
7 years 3 months ago #22958 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic YORKSHIRE SPIN
Great idea and I would love to do something like this but I,m paid up for the Sean Kelly otherwise yes I would. Great stuff and have a cracking weekend.

More
7 years 3 months ago #22959 by Tommy Smith
Replied by Tommy Smith on topic YORKSHIRE SPIN
Peter you sing it and I'll hum it as we cycle along

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #22973 by Siobhan McNamara
Replied by Siobhan McNamara on topic YORKSHIRE SPIN
Hi All

Yes my other Yorkshire club Otley Cycle Club are delighted to welcome any of you on their planned club spins for weekend Sat 19th and Sun 20th August 2017.

Details of the OCC spins for that wknd are as follows, but could change nearer to the day:

Saturday 19th Aug - Otley Mountain Goat spin - dept 9.15am from Buttercross, Otley.
These spins range from 1-5 stars, 1 being the easiest and 5 near impossible, ratings are based on distance and steepness/ frequency of climbs.
I think the one for this Saturday will be an easy enough 2.5 rating approx 80-90km? We're thinking of going along the back of Ilkley out towards Bolton Abbey, up Storiths then either up towards Appletreewick and Burnsall or towards Stump Cross Caverns.
Either way the route will be beautiful and take us into the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

Sunday 20th Aug Option 1:' Inters' (similar to Orwell Orange group) dept 8.30am Buttercross, Otley to Hawes , Wensleydale via Fleet Moss 93 miles/ 150km.
This will be a challenging route, I'd love to be able to do it but wouldn't stand a chance. If you choose this option you will be stopping in Kilnsey, Wharfedale for coffee, going up Fleet Moss (listed as one of Britain's Top 10 toughest climbs) and stopping for lunch in Hawes, Wensleydale - yes, where the cheese is made! The scenery on this spin will be stunning.

Sunday 20th Aug Option 2: 'The B's' (similar to Orwell Yellow group) dept 9.15am Buttercross, Otley
At the moment the listed spin is a flattish spin out towards York 55 miles/ 88km, but I'm thinking it might change to a spin out to Haworth , West Yorkshire, where the Brontes lived and wrote their novels and where the cobbled hills are now associated with images of the crowds supporting the TDF Yorkshire Grand Depart 2014.

Each evening it is hoped we can all meet up for food and drinks in Otley, but obviously you are free to do what you like.

Exact info is vague at the moment, but if you have any questions feel free to post.

It was initially thought that Tommy could drive bikes over in a van (rental or otherwise) and people could get cheapie return flights with Ryanair from Dublin to Leeds Bradford and stay at the Travel lodge at the airport to keep costs down, but this might change to a few cars going over - or just take your bike on the flight.
Flights stop at LBA 10pm so it will be quiet plus it's just a small spin down to Otley from the Travel lodge.
I can't think of any accommodation actually in Otley, but if any comes to light I will post it here.

Siobhan
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Siobhan McNamara.

More
7 years 3 months ago #23025 by Siobhan McNamara
Hi

There is accommodation opposite the meeting point for the Otley CC spins.

The Black Horse Hotel in Otley has 9 bedrooms, a few doubles for £80 per room per night, a few singles for £40 per night and some rooms for £150 per room which can sleep 4 people.

The Black Horse is also a pub so I can't comment on noise levels, but it has an avg 4/5 on Tripadvisor with reviews ranging from the usual 'Terrible' to 'a Little gem of a place'
A couple of people going on the Yorkshire spin have already booked here for the wknd, so might be an idea if everyone wanted to stay together?

Also - goes without saying that you can choose to just do one of the spins at the wknd.
You are not obliged to cycle both days if you feel it would be too much.

Otley CC have a 'social series' of half day relatively easy cycles every other Sunday, unfortunately they are not happening the Sunday we are there, but there might be a group who are going out anyway who you could join for an easy Sunday cycle - I might be one of those people!

This trip is still more than 2 months away but just thought I'd give a heads up on the handy accommodation since it only has limited rooms and one room has gone already.

Thanks
Siobhan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor, Aoife Ross

More
7 years 3 months ago #23113 by Aoife Ross
Thanks to Siobhan and Tommy for organising this!

Just booked my accommodation at the Black Horse!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tommy Smith

More
7 years 3 months ago #23114 by Aoife Ross
Thanks to Siobhan and Tommy for organising this!

Just booked my accommodation at the Black Horse!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siobhan McNamara

More
7 years 3 months ago #23118 by Siobhan McNamara
Amazing Aoife - that's great.
As far as I am aware that's now 8 Orwells booked into the Black Horse.

More
7 years 3 months ago #23119 by Peter Carty
Replied by Peter Carty on topic YORKSHIRE SPIN
I'm booked into the Black Horse too.
Thanks Siobhan and Tommy for organising.

More
7 years 3 months ago #23127 by Tommy Smith
Just a quick note that the Black Horse hotel is almost booked up for that weekend but there is plenty of accommodation in the Travelodge next to LB airport

More
7 years 2 months ago #23587 by Tommy Smith
Hi all
Just booked the ferry out on the 08.05 sailing on the 18th and returning on the 14.10 sailing on the 21st. Unfortunately I no longer get a discount so it's working out at €65 per bike in total. We can arrange to drop off the bikes closer to the date. Hope this is ok with everyone
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siobhan McNamara

More
7 years 2 months ago #23611 by Siobhan McNamara
Hi All

For anyone keeping their interest in this wknd on the back burner...

Accommodation latest:
Black Horse : I think there is one single room left

Dowgill House B&B
is just down the road from Black Horse/ meeting place for spins

Otley Chevin B&B is 1km away from Black Horse/ meeting place for spins

Travel:
If you don't fancy the ferry, Ryanair still have flights leaving Dublin Fri 18th Aug 4.05pm returning Mon 21st Aug 06.35am for €76 rtn (+ bike = €176 rtn), I think some are getting the Aer Lingus return on the Sun eve

Any questions - just ask :-)

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds