Wicklow 200 - CAUTION ROAD SURFACE

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #17189 by Leonard Kaye
Wicklow 200 - CAUTION ROAD SURFACE was created by Leonard Kaye
Wicklow 200 - CAUTION ROAD SURFACE - CARE NEEDED

Significant gravel at centre and left hand side of a narrow road at the base of hollow/steep decent (8%) - 112km into the route, 4km past Knockananna.

Also, very poor road surface and road is very shaded by overhanging trees, at 134km into route, at last 1km of decent off Shay Elliott.

Observed last Saturday on a W200 group training spin.

Safe cycling
Leonard
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Leonard Kaye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Kelehan, Warren Cray, Gordon Byrne

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #17277 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Wicklow 200 - CAUTION ROAD SURFACE
Having been involved for a while a few years ago in organising the W200, I know the statistics on W200 accidents, so this seems like a good time to emphasise Leonard's warning.

Almost all serious accidents on the W200 occur on descents because of speed or something unexpected around a corner. Don't let yourself get carried away with the numbers and the occasion. Descend as you would if you were on a normal Sunday ride - just because another rider is descending quickly does not mean he/she knows the road well. The roads are not closed. There could be anything just around the next corner.

Better to come home a few minutes slower than hours later in an ambulance.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Connaire, Simon Kelehan, Donal O'Connor, Warren Cray, Tommy Smith, Leonard Kaye, Gordon Byrne

More
8 years 3 months ago #17346 by Tony McDowell
Replied by Tony McDowell on topic Wicklow 200 - CAUTION ROAD SURFACE
I was up around Sally's Gap area on Friday afternoon and they are resurfacing the roads in places and the new surface is very stick. I ended up with a thick layer of tar and stones on the my tyres, not ideal. they appear to resurfacing in patches around the Wicklow hills so beware new surface.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tommy Smith, Leonard Kaye

More
8 years 3 months ago #17348 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Wicklow 200 - CAUTION ROAD SURFACE
And another reminder to ensure that your bike is in perfect shape as you set out next Sunday morning. It's a hard route for your bike too, so give it its best chance by checking everything that you would normally check, then check it again, and make sure you've covered the following and more:
- Tyres checked for wear, tears, and embedded stones and glass, Tyres pumped to correct pressure.
- Brake blocks in good shape and tracking correctly on the wheel rims. Brake performance is good.
- Wheel quick releases closed securely, brake quick releases closed. Wheels spinning freely.
- Chain lubed, brake and gear cables running smoothly.
- Cranks spin easily, with no creaks from bottom bracket.
- Gears change quickly without noise or drama.
- Seat post and headset secure.
- Bottle cages secure, and able to hold your water bottles securely. A runaway water bottle is very dangerous.
- Pick up your bike and shake it. If anything rattles, figure out what it is and secure it.

If anything is not working as it should or if in doubt, bring your bike to the shop - they will look after these things so you don't have to worry!

Enjoy the day and see you on the road.
Diarmuid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor, Gillian Baker

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds