Wicklow 100 Training Group

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #14529 by Derek Handley
Wicklow 100 Training Group was created by Derek Handley
Hi all, and welcome to the Wicklow 100 Training Group forum thread!

This will be the main source of information relating to our training group, so check in regularly for any updates.

There was a great turnout at the launch event last night where 17 of you signed up for the group, in addition to a few people who had already given their names via email. For those of you who couldn't make it, attached are the notes I handed out including the purpose and details of the program.

Here is the list of the group's members (if your name is missing or spelled incorrectly, please contact me - details in the attached):

Cathy O'Brien
Clare Keogh
Elizabeth Catterall
Fionnuala McGee
Gillian Baker
Jenny McBurney
Joanne Walsh
John Collins
Kathryn O'Connor
Kim Westby
Matteo Zallio
Max Vingerhoets
Michael Conlon
Michelle Clifford
Paul Tierney
Siobhan McNamara
Stefan Foster
Teresa Flanagan
Triona Agnew

Please check your inbox for an email from me asking you to confirm your phone number, and really just to check that I have the correct email address. If you do not receive it, it means I don't have your email address or couldn't read it correctly from the sign-on sheet last night. If so, please contact me with your email address and mobile number.

Myself, Christine, Stephen, Kathryn and Emma are looking forward to seeing you all on the bike from Saturday 2nd April. In the meantime there are a few things for you to do:

1. Get some more cycling in! Remember, you need to be comfortable cycling at least 70km, in a group, at white pace (20-22kph) BEFORE the training program starts. There are still 5-6 Sunday morning winter spins between now and then so...on yer bike!

2. Sort out your bike during March, as mentioned in the attached notes.

3. REGISTER FOR THE WICKLOW 100 NOW (here: www.wicklow200.ie/how-to-enter/). Don't delay on this in case you forget - like I did last year and ended up missing the deadline. Once you've registered, announce this to family and friends so there's no turning back!

The other sportive we will do as part of the program is the Lap of the Gaps on 14th May (see here: www.downsyndrome.ie/fundraising-events/events/cycle-4-dsi/). It looks like registration takes place on the day itself, but we'll keep an eye on it in case that changes. We will register for the 50km version but sneak off half-way round to add in an extra 30km and some climbing.

I think that's it for now. Any queries, email me or better still post on this forum so information is available to the whole group. You will need to sort out your user name and password to post in forums.

See you in April if not before,

Derek
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Derek Handley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gillian Baker

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #14530 by Derek Handley
Replied by Derek Handley on topic Wicklow 100 Training Group
OK, first issue - the attachment was too large to upload so I will add it to the email mentioned in the post above instead. If you don't receive the email contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Derek

• Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
8 years 6 months ago #14563 by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
Replied by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets on topic Wicklow 100 Training Group
Hey Derek,
hey guys,

super excited about joining the club recently and training with you all for our "big" event!

I just registered for the W100, so there's no turning back now! (there probably is, but you get the idea)

I've recently re-created the Wicklow 100 route on Strava - if you want, you can check it out here .

Looking forward to see you guys on your bikes soon!

All the best,
Max

More
8 years 6 months ago #14646 by Stephen Kerr
Replied by Stephen Kerr on topic Wicklow 100 Training Group
Entry in and looking forward to starting the training with everyone :) Roll on the 2nd of April...

More
8 years 5 months ago #15324 by Derek Handley
Replied by Derek Handley on topic Wicklow 100 Training Group
Hi all,

The Wicklow 100 Training Group is now at capacity so unfortunately we won't be able to accept new members unless drop-outs occur (contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to be added to the waiting list). Here is the list of members:

Annette Kent
Cathy O'Brien
Clare Keogh
Eamon Flanagan
Eamonn McCormac
Eimear Phelan
Elizabeth Catterall
Fiona Herald
Fionnuala McGee
Gillian Baker
Jenny McBurney
Joanne Walsh
John Collins
Kathryn O'Connor
Kim Westby
Lorcan Lynch
Matteo Zallio
Michael Conlon
Paul Tierney
Siobhan McNamara
Stefan Foster
Teresa Flanagan
Triona Agnew

If you were expecting to be on the list but your name is missing, please contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Likewise, if you are listed above but no longer intend training with the group, please let me know in case someone new wants to join the group.

Our training gets underway this Saturday, 2nd April. Please note that to avoid confusion with other groups we are moving the start point to The Yellow House. Please be there for 8:20 for an 8:30 sharp start - there will be a few things to go through before we set off.

A number of you are new to cycling, or new to group cycling, so the first route is relatively short (65km plus your own journey to/from the Yellow House) and includes a mix of main roads and hills. You can check it out at ridewithgps.com/routes/12820117. In summary the route is Yellow House - Mount Seskin (hill repeats) - Blessington (coffee) - Ballysmuttan Bridge - Butter Mountain - Embankment - Yellow House. Over the weeks we will build up the distance and the amount of climbing.

If you haven't already done so, now is the time to drop your bike into the local bike shop for a checkover and service. Brake pads, tyres and cables are critical.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday and to a bit of craic over the next ten weeks. In the meantime keep an eye on our WhatsApp group messages and on this forum thread for any further updates!

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Farrell, Stephen Kerr, Gillian Baker

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds