Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept

More
8 years 7 months ago #14191 by Simon Kelehan
Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept was created by Simon Kelehan
The Giants Causeway sportive in County Antrim in September is now open for bookings...
www.giantscausewaycoastsportive.com. There seems to be a decent Orwell group planning to go North for the weekend.....

"The Giant’s Causeway Coast Sportive is a unique event based on the iconic North Coast of Ireland offering an unforgettable cycling experience through some of the most breathtaking landscapes in Ireland. This event attracts over 1000 participants year on year and is one of the most popular sportives in Northern Ireland. Cyclists have the choice of 3 routes (57km; 126km; 182km) which all start and finish in the small rural seaside town of Ballycastle in County Antrim.

The 182km Giant Killer offers cyclists the chance to cycle through an area of unsurpassed beauty. The route starts off by heading west towards Bushmills, along the Coast Road before tackling some reasonably tough, long climbs through the Glens of Antrim. At Glenarm the route follows the coast road all the way back to Ballycastle including the Torr Head Road which is sure to push cyclists of every level right to the limit. Expect to be rewarded with the best scenery on offer along the North Coast of Northern Ireland."

Martin and I have arranged for some of the local B&Bs to hold rooms for Orwell members so please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I can forward the contact details..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eugène SKIL, Andrew Potts, Leonard Kaye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #14197 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
I have done this event 3 times now - its always a great event, despite the weather!! Torr Head is a great challenge especially coming so close to to the end of the day. You can sign up for any of the 3 routes and change plans on the day depending on the weather.

They also do a good party in a local pub the night of the event so worth staying locally:)

There is a discount of 10% off the entry fee for clubs this year. The code is:

GCCS201610%

Online booking is available via the event website - www.giantscausewaycoastsportive.com/general/book-now/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Kelehan, Tommy Smith, Gordon Byrne

More
8 years 5 months ago #15086 by Simon Kelehan
Replied by Simon Kelehan on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Reminder folks about the Giants Causeway in Norn Iron in September. Sizable Orwell crew already. Beautiful scenery plus an option over Torr Head at the end, which according to Fergal, is not for the faint hearted...

www.giantscausewaycoastsportive.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tommy Smith

More
8 years 5 months ago #15256 by Fergal O'Sullivan
Replied by Fergal O'Sullivan on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Folks

As Simon has said this is a great spin - make sure you keep something in the legs for Torr Head at the end of the cycle.

More
8 years 3 months ago #17591 by Simon Kelehan
Bump for the Giants Causeway in September. ...scenery looks amazing and a choice of tough routes to ensure we don't slack off after the W200..

www.giantscausewaycoastsportive.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Connaire, Joe Fitzpatrick, Leonard Kaye, Raechel Campbell

More
8 years 2 months ago #18213 by Michael Staines
Replied by Michael Staines on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Hi Simon
are there any rooms or beds left with the Orwell group?
Thanks
Michael

More
8 years 2 months ago #18258 by Gerry Kieran
Replied by Gerry Kieran on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Myself and Niall have entered for the 180km.
Michael, I just booked a room in the Fragrens B&B in Ballycastle for the 9th. Not staying on the 10th so not sure if they have any that night. You could try there.

More
8 years 2 months ago #18260 by Simon Kelehan
Hi Michael, the Ardaghmore B and B is still holding a couple of rooms for us. Simon

More
8 years 2 months ago #18276 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Better start thinking of hill repeats for this one Torr Head is infamous and it's towards the end of the course. Here say suggests it's like five walls back to back. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Kelehan

• Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
8 years 1 month ago #18384 by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
Replied by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
I'm probably also going to register for it.

Here's the 180k route from two years ago: www.strava.com/activities/193970512

More
8 years 1 month ago #18512 by Martin Donohue
Replied by Martin Donohue on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Hi all. Just trying to get a handle on numbers for this event.
I expect that we have at least 30 signed up as of today.
The Marine hotel will do a hot breakfast if we have 20 early risers.
Start time for the 180k is 8.15 am. Breki 07.00 hrs.????????
What about post event 3 course dinner in the hotel. 20pouds.per person
Please post if you are taking part and interested in dinner.
Regards.
Martin.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #18515 by Stephen Ryan
Replied by Stephen Ryan on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Hi Martin,

I'm going up and doing the 120. I'm staying in the An Caislean guesthouse and they do an early breakfast so won't be seeing you for that . I am interested in the post event dinner - will need 2 places for me and 1 non cyclist - please.

btw - was shocked to hear at the BBQ that you can't see the causeway from the route , what the hey?

Stephen
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Stephen Ryan.

More
8 years 1 month ago #18516 by Gerry Kieran
Hi Martin,
Niall and me are doing the 180. Would be interested in the evening meal on the Fri. have booked in to a B&B in town so will not need the breakfast.
Thanks,
Gerry

More
8 years 1 month ago #18524 by Kevin Connaire
Replied by Kevin Connaire on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Martin, Pat Macken and I are interested for post event dinner. We're OK for breakfast. Thanks, Kevin.

More
8 years 1 month ago #18529 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Hi Martin
Grainne and I have done this 3 times now and one thing we have learned is be prepared for any and all types of weather!!

Re the start times - starts are staggered so they let groups of 15/20 go every 10 mins or so. For the 182km the start window is between 7.30am and 8.15am. When you have your group registered and ready you just roll up to the start line.
For the 127km the start window is 8.30am to 9am.
For the 57km it is 9.15am to 9.45am.

You can swap between routes on the day which is handy if the weather isnt playing ball:)

I would recommend The Central Bar in Ballycastle for dinner on the Saturday night - its the best restaurant in town and always a good buzz the night of the event. Its definitely advisable to book though. It is also right across the road from the bar where the post event party happens so very handy:)

Stephen - you cant see the Giants Causeway until you are almost standing on it but don't worry there is plenty of other stunning scenery on the route:)

Andrew - Torr Head is 4 steep ramps with flattish bits in between so you can recover. I have never seen so many people walking in an event as I have on this! You will be well able but you might have to stop talking for a minute or two though;)

For anyone who doesn't want to tackle Torr Head they have an alternative route which is compulsory in bad weather. It's called 'Easy St". Its still uphill but less steep.

Lou
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Ryan, Angela Halpin, Simon Kelehan, Andrew Potts, Tommy Smith, Muriel Haire, Leonard Kaye, Raechel Campbell

More
8 years 1 month ago #18538 by Martin Donohue
Replied by Martin Donohue on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
OK. That's great info and feedback. So what I will do is contact the
Central Bar and see if they can accommodate us. If not we have the hotel. As regards routes like we all know the weather on the day will probably determine what we do. Lou just wondering if there would be an option to do the 120 km and add on a spin to see the Giants Causeway. (The Compromise).(150km) might suit all of us.???????
Thor Head!! Giants Causeway!! Randoneur Point!! Bigger Orwell Group.
We will definitely have post event dinner. Will post again soon.
Keep the comments going.!!!!!
Thanks all.
PS. Gerry and Niall. Not sure if anything organised for Friday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts

More
8 years 1 month ago #18539 by Simon Kelehan
Guys. Ive booked dinner for 12 in the Central for Friday night. Let me know who's interested?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts, Tommy Smith, Leonard Kaye

More
8 years 1 month ago #18540 by Gerry Kieran
Hi Simon,
Niall and me would be on for the meal on Fri. Intending to travel home on sat after the event so won't be around for post event meal.
Thanks,
Gerry

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #18542 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Replied by Joe Fitzpatrick on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Im booked into An Caisleán Guest House

Count me in for dinner Friday and Saturday

Regards
Joe
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Joe Fitzpatrick. Reason: incl days

More
8 years 1 month ago #18543 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic Giants Causeway Sportive - 10th Sept
Hi Martin and Simon please put me down for the Friday night and the Sat night for whatever is organised
With thanks
Andrew

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds