Orange group pace issues?

More
10 years 11 months ago #5528 by Dave Mc
Orange group pace issues? was created by Dave Mc
There have been complaints back today about the pace in the Orange group (or at least one of them), which was apparently in excess of 30km/h. This follows on from a pace of near 30 last week on the spin around Blessington.

While everyone is free to ride as fast or slow as they like they should be doing it in the appropriate groups- scheduled pace for the Orange groups is 24-26km/h, so anyone who should actually be in an Orange group is likely to have been dropped (badly) today. These riders have a choice of continuing to get a kicking each week, or else dropping back to the Yellow groups and rolling around on spins that are well below their ability. It also means that riders who are progressing in the Yellow groups have nowhere to move up to, as the jump to a 30km/h group is likely to be far too great for them.

From what I can see, anyone who was not dropped on the Orange spins of the past two weeks is due to go on the Red spins from next week, leaving at 9:00. Anyone who continues to ride in the Orange groups should be keeping the pace below 27km/h.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Ryan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #5529 by Paul Kane
Replied by Paul Kane on topic Orange group pace issues?
Oops, sorry if we anyone felt we pushed the pace a bit in the second orange group. Just checked average speed (28.5kph). Thought almost everyone was comfortable, except a couple who got dropped not too far from home. Looks like pretty much the whole group should be in red next week. Didn't seem to be a red going from Joe's this morning, so presume that was also a factor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #5530 by Billy Parker
Replied by Billy Parker on topic Orange group pace issues?
We were the 3rd orange group today. We started as 18 which I think is too big. 12 is ideal. We had varying abilities within the group. We averaged 27kph but this was with consistent requests by the experienced Orwell members in the group to steady the pace. In the absence of such requests the pace would undoubtedly have been faster as there were some very strong riders in the group.

I agree with Dave's comments above and in my opinion it is up to the experienced Orwell members in the group to keep the pace under control and be mindful of those who might be struggling. Those same members should nominate one or more to take responsibility for the route, the pace and proper group cycling.

A major contributor to pace issues and riders being dropped is the failure to pass calls up to the front and those near the back not paying attention to those falling off.

I expect many of these issues will settle down over the next few weeks.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Billy Parker.

More
10 years 11 months ago #5531 by Eamonn Eaton
Replied by Eamonn Eaton on topic Orange group pace issues?
I was in the first Orange Group today and we did go a bit fast on the way to Rathnew. We were on an average speed of 30k at that stage. I think we had some red standard riders in the group. We were aware it was a bit fast and the group split at the half way point. We took a comfortable pace on the way back and my average speed when I got home was 27.5. I think the clear learning from the day is to work within the correct speed and not to be afraid to speak up if it's going a bit fast - it's in the interests if the group.

Hope it didn't spoil anyones enjoyment of what was a great spin in good company.

• Fergal Daly
10 years 11 months ago #5534 by Fergal Daly
Replied by Fergal Daly on topic Orange group pace issues?
It'll probably settle down as people find their pace, but there might be a fear that the red group is a racing group which will rocket off at 35kph+

Saw a strava recording for a buddy who was on a white spin on Sunday, averaged at 24-ish kph, which is still way too fast for a white group. Admittedly though I don't know if he bulled it up the climbs and then waited, or if the whole group was going that fast.

As I say, it'll probably settle down. It's important though to try and keep the groups at their assigned pace, so those who are faster will know they need to move up. If I was in an Orange group doing 30km/h, I'd probably think I was in the right group.

• Keith Harte
10 years 11 months ago #5535 by Keith Harte
Replied by Keith Harte on topic Orange group pace issues?
For what it's worth I echo Fergal & Billys comments. I have been out on both Orange spins which have been above the assigned speeds...On both spins riders have discussed the red group/speeds etc. There does seem to be a 'Fear factor' to join the red group as riders are reluctant to move up, and fear bridging the gap from Orange to red is too large! Riders are well aware that the smaller red groups can be training ground for the clubs elite/racers. If the riders could be somewhat assured of an acceptable average, i think alot of the Orange riders would have comfort in moving up.

More
10 years 11 months ago #5538 by Liam Rowsome
Replied by Liam Rowsome on topic Orange group pace issues?
Hi All,

Myself and John Twomey took a Yellow group to Greystones on Sunday. It was a fun spin and I think we clocked 55km at about 23.2kmph by the time I got back to Joe's.

We split the group in two after the coffee stop - There was a slight discrepancy between the strongest and weakest in the group and there was a certain challenge in keeping the spin interesting for the strongest but manageable for the less strong - But for the most part the group was fit and people were keen to push on.

Apart from the very odd occasion the group riding was very safe.

I had a word with a few of the strongest at the end and said they should consider an orange spin. However I didn't realise at the time that the orange spins were clocking averages in and around 30kmph...! I genuinely think that would be too much of a jump for even the best riders in the group I was with.

If Orange was 24 - 26ish kmph then it would definitely provide a better stepping stone for the fitter Yellow group riders.

Those in Orange who can take 29/30kmph averages in their stride should definitely consider going Red

Liam

More
10 years 11 months ago #5543 by Stephen Ryan
Replied by Stephen Ryan on topic Orange group pace issues?
I saw this article linked on Boards - seemed relevant

cyclingtips.com.au/2011/09/the-lost-art-of-the-group-ride-2/

More
10 years 11 months ago #5547 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Orange group pace issues?
One of the issues that has come up in each of the last few years are that Orange group riders are afraid to move up to Red, as more than one poster above has mentioned. I can assure any rider who hung in with any of the Orange groups over the past two weekends that they will have nothing to fear in a Red group, which is likely to be only marginally faster, if at all.

Most of the Open racing gang aren't back in serious training yet, and even when they do join back in they will mostly be looking to keep the pace steady and consistent, rather than tearing it up through the Winter- you may well even find that you'll be going to fast for some of them.

It's not really a big problem, but the more closely matched the riders in any given group are the better the training will be for everyone in that group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley

More
10 years 11 months ago #5551 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Orange group pace issues?
Some very good points made.

I completely agree with the need to keep the pace within reasonable limits. However I think there is a problem with quoting a single pace range - e.g. 24-26k for Orange - as it doesn't take terrain into account.

In the past we've been on a couple of very tough Orange spins that went up into the Wicklow mountains and ended up averaging about 25k. That pace was much tougher than maintaining 29k on a relatively flat spin.

I know we can't expect customized pace guidelines for every ride, but I think it's important to point out that there are issues with quoting a single pace range.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #5562 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Orange group pace issues?
Good Orange spin today, average speed 26.3 km/h.

Absolutely agree on the mudguards (mentioned in one of other threads) - very few to be seen, and spray everywhere. Would make for a far more pleasant ride if people had them.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Diarmuid Donnelly.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5563 by Danny Moriarty
Replied by Danny Moriarty on topic Orange group pace issues?
Was out with orange group yesterday - pace was 26kmish - thought it was a tad slow considering terrain/conditions but only marginally.

Out of 12 - I think there was only 3 maybe 4 with rear mudgaurds - not good enough imo.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5564 by Gerry Kieran
Replied by Gerry Kieran on topic Orange group pace issues?
I was out in orange group yesterday, very enjoyable. Have to hold my hands up and say I didn't have a rear mudguard. However, of the 11 in the group there was one full rear mudgaurd and it has to be said I was getting as much spray from that wheel as any other. I think on a mucky day like yesterday there really isn't anything that's going to keep the following rider dry.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds