Mondello 24

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #35604 by David Fitzgerald
Mondello 24 was created by David Fitzgerald
A few of have entered a team (Fabulous Flying Flandrians) into the Mondello 24 endurance event on 16th October ……. without any experience of a 24 hr endurance event!! Does anyone out there have any insight/experience that they could share regarding tactics, support, nutrition, etc?
Thanks, David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #35612 by Andrew Ryan
Replied by Andrew Ryan on topic Mondello 24
Hi David,
Four of us have signed up for Mondello too (with a much more creative name, 'Orwell Wheelers'...) One of us has done the Easter flèche and Everesting before, the rest just plenty of long spins!
There are plenty of blogs and vlogs out there about the Red Bull time-lapse, Le Mans 24hr, etc. Think I first saw it on Francis Cade's YouTube but there are at least two or three more good ones on there.
I believe we do have a camper van lined up which is great. Closer to the time we'll be sorting out specifics but think a big thing will be having a helper around.
We've yet to decide on a strategy but some variation of 6 hour rotations with an hour on/hour off is probably the most efficient plan. Gives you sufficient time (6/7hrs) to switch off when not on a rotation and a not too strenuous schedule for when you are cycling. I'd imagine it will change for the last 6hrs or so where perhaps those with not as much preparedness, fall behind our schedule and someone will have to jump in. Something else to consider is having a strong first few hours until the race settles down and a strong finisher incase it is neck and neck. Looking at how these have been raced elsewhere, it's not raced as an endurance event. People will go hard (z3/4) for their hour, recover and go again.
See you on the road, Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, David Fitzgerald

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #35613 by David Fitzgerald
Replied by David Fitzgerald on topic Re:Mondello 24
Thanks Andrew

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #35625 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Re:Mondello 24
+1 on Andrew's suggestion of reviewing Francis Cade's videos on the Red Bull Time Lapse.

I'd check the rules on this, but you'll know who you're racing against, so keep an eye on their pit garage and see if there's a rider on the rollers, turbo, or riding around the carpark, warming up, as they'll likely be making a change soon.

Practice the transition process, maybe get a third person involved if needed.

You'll also need to consider how to bank/recover the time that is lost in the transition. And also how to capitalise on this if you're opponents try something.
Should your rider, who is about to pit try to get a gap before pitting, so the new rider doesn't need to burn a match catching up?
If an opponent tries this, can your rider pace the group to nullify this gap, and then make common cause with other teams to drill it, so the newer rider can't catch up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Fitzgerald

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #35626 by David Fitzgerald
Thanks Luke

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #35664 by Ian Anderson
Replied by Ian Anderson on topic Mondello 24

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #35665 by David Fitzgerald
Thanks Ian, really helpful. David

More
2 years 11 months ago #35798 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic Re:Mondello 24
Marie, Conor, Seán and I have signed up en famille as "Murnane 2G". With 3/4 of us sick and/or injured the only advice I have is: try not to get sick or injured.

Thanks for the tips above. Will try to learn something in the next few weeks! 

More
2 years 11 months ago #35799 by David Fitzgerald

Marie, Conor, Seán and I have signed up en famille as "Murnane 2G". With 3/4 of us sick and/or injured the only advice I have is: try not to get sick or injured.

Thanks for the tips above. Will try to learn something in the next few weeks! 

Thanks Dave, hope you all get well soon. See you in Mondello.

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds