Tour of Inishowen July 10th

More
8 years 5 months ago #15760 by Garret Connolly
Tour of Inishowen July 10th was created by Garret Connolly
Hi All

Did you try and fail to register for ROK in July? Are you training for a Raid, Etape or something tough? Are you nuts enough?
www.facebook.com/pages/North-Pole-Cyclin...owen/134477946748847

The Tour of Inishowen is by far the toughest 1 day sportif I've ever done in Ireland and requires a certain nutter mentality to even contemplate doing it however if you make it around in 1 piece you'll forever remember the glorious unspoiled roads and coastline of Ireland's most beautiful northern coastline in Inishowen Co Donegal.

This is particularly tough and if you're a sportif 1st timer I would warn against it. It's aimed at veterans of spins like the Randonee, W200, Sean Kelly etc and is absolutely brilliant training for a Raid, Etape, Marmotte etc etc. I did this in 2010 and it broke me in half. I even had to walk slowly up the last hill of the day(doesn't happen that often).

The sportif is on Sunday July 10th starting and finishing in Buncrana. It's 160km and has 2000+m in climbing but bar the flat 30km to Muff at the start it's 1 climb after another. The big highlights are the climbs in Kinnegoe Bay, Malin Head and finally after 150km(very cruel) they send you over Mamore Gap(2.5km at 20-25% gradient).

There is definitely at least 10 both guys and girls already confirmed for it and as far as I know sign on is on the morning. (no online booking yet) They are extremely friendly bunch up in Buncrana and always delighted to see a bunch of Dubs head up. Back in 2010 there was about 200 starters and it's a great friendly spin.
A small bunch of us did it last year and we all loved it!

Accom is in plentiful supply in Buncrana and feel free to book yourself in to the various houses, hostel, hotels etc. It's also about 1/2 the price of accom in Killarney so a great alternative to the ROK.

This is a bucket list cycle in Ireland and should be worth a gazillion points on the leisure calender but it is a Grand Tour event so it will have to settle for 10points. It will also qualify for 1 point on the Randonneur Medal.

I'll be the point person for this one, alongside the Tralee weekend away and also one of the points of contact for Wicklow 200 and the Alps Classic Cols so pop up a question if you have any.

In the meantime if you feel you have the right nutter mentality start booking yourselves in to accommodation etc. A few of us have booked into the Inishowen Gateway Hotel for July 9th and 10th, Big dinner post sportif on July 10th.

Full details have been announced for the Tour of Inishowen sportif on July 10th www.facebook.com/North-Pole-Cycling-Club...wen-134477946748847/
Strava from last year here www.strava.com/activities/345255946.

I think it's Ireland's most picturesque place. You will absolutely love it.. Rooms are short supply(big wedding venue but has a full leisure centre with pool, sauna, steam room etc etc) so book soon. Also if it is booked out check out other hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses, hostels and airbnbs in Inishowen. All of them are within walking distance of the cycle HQ.

Garret

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Dave Carroll
8 years 5 months ago #15770 by Dave Carroll
Replied by Dave Carroll on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
I have booked into the Gateway too. Looking forward to it again!

More
8 years 3 months ago #16941 by Alan Hickey
Replied by Alan Hickey on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Just noticed this thread now and this is one I'd certainly like to do.

I'm going to book a room in the gateway in the next couple of days. If anyone is interested in sharing a room let me know and I can book a twin. Prices on the website are €94 for a single room or €133 for a twin.

I'll be travelling down and staying the Saturday night beforehand and driving back to Dublin on the Sunday evening so if anyone needs a lift either I have room for 2 additional bikes to my own.

Alan.

More
8 years 3 months ago #16942 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
yeh Id be up for the lift!

More
8 years 3 months ago #16944 by Alan Hickey
Grand Eugene, will I put you down for the other bed or are you happy to go on your own with a single room?

More
8 years 3 months ago #16945 by Alan Hickey
Sorry Eugene, just noticed all the single rooms are gone from the website. So are you happy with sharing the twin?

More
8 years 3 months ago #16946 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Hi all

I'd fully recommend doing this as it's one of Ireland's hidden gems and probably the toughest 1 day sportif on the calendar!

If you're planning on driving back on the night of the cycle I'd recommend showering, eating and a bucket load of coffee before you drive back. You'll be fairly wiped out after it. If you can stay down it's well worth the hotel cost for Sunday eve,.

This is 10 points on the leisure champs and 1 Randonneur Medal point too.

Garret

More
8 years 3 months ago #16947 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
thanks Alan, twin so! deadly

More
8 years 3 months ago #16948 by Alan Hickey
I'll book that now Eugene.

More
8 years 3 months ago #16978 by Ken Moloney
Replied by Ken Moloney on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Guys myself and a mate from Naas CC also booked in for the sportive and booked in at the Inishowen Gateway.

More
8 years 3 months ago #17533 by Helen Horan
Replied by Helen Horan on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
All 3 Horans have booked into Buncrana for this. It should be one of the most banterful cycling weekends of the year if last year is anything to go by!

More
8 years 3 months ago #17601 by Gillian Baker
Replied by Gillian Baker on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
I'm booked in for the 2 nights also. Planning on driving so if anyone would like a lift, I can take 1 person and a bike, would welcome the company :-)

Points for the 100km Garret?

• Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
8 years 2 months ago #17734 by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
Replied by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
I'm also in!

There's now some more info, as well as online sign in available here:

www.entrycentral.com/event/105370

Can't wait!
Max

More
8 years 2 months ago #17842 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Hi all
just so we can plan dinners out etc could you post up your names up here who will be in Buncrana for the 2 nights.
You can text me on 0872390130 with your number so I can add you to the Tour of Inishowen 2016 whatsap group too.

Post below

Garret

Garret: both Sat and Sun nights dinner

• Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
8 years 2 months ago #17843 by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets
Replied by Max-Emanuel Vingerhoets on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Max: both Sat and Sun nights dinner

More
8 years 2 months ago #17845 by Alan Hickey
Alan: Sat night only

More
8 years 2 months ago #17852 by Darragh Connolly
Replied by Darragh Connolly on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Saturday and Sunday please Darragh

More
8 years 2 months ago #17857 by Ken Moloney
Replied by Ken Moloney on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Thank Garret.
I'll be up on Saturday and Sunday night.
Ken

More
8 years 2 months ago #17870 by Peadar Corbally
Replied by Peadar Corbally on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Put me down for just Saturday

More
8 years 2 months ago #17949 by Barry Mooney
Replied by Barry Mooney on topic Tour of Inishowen July 10th
Saturday+Sunday. Thanks Garret.