Club league R6 - Brittas RR

More
9 years 4 months ago #10004 by Brian Mc
Club league R6 - Brittas RR was created by Brian Mc
Roll up, roll up! The first road race of the Orwell league takes place next Thursday in Brittas.

Riders
Sign-on closes at 18.50. Sign-on is the usual spot - the lay-by opposite the Blue Gardenia pub on the N81: goo.gl/maps/oNvis Please don't park in the pub car park, and their toilets are for patrons' use only.

For those who haven't raced on open roads before, the rules of the road still apply. Anyone seen repeatedly riding on the wrong side of the line will be penalised. Check for overtaking car traffic if moving out of the bunch. Be very cautious on corners - the marshals will do their best to stop traffic back from the junction, but it's not always possible, and drivers are not always co-operative. Obey any orders from marshals, such as to slow down - they're trying to keep you safe.

Basically, use some common sense. It's not worth endangering yourself and others to gain a few places in the bunch. Stupid/reckless riding will be not be tolerated.

Race format will be decided on the night, but probably some form of CP - the same as the last couple of Corkagh Park rounds. The handicaps will be decided on the night depending on numbers signed on in each cat.

Points will be awarded to the first six overall in each race - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 points. This means it's in the best interests of the riders in each group to work together to stay away from those chasing, or to catch those ahead, and get to the line first. i.e. if Limit can work together well, and stay out in front without being caught, all the points will go to Limit riders, rather than having to sprint against Scratch riders.

At the finish, if you didn't get a place, please keep riding through and home. This allows us to clear the area and let traffic flow. Please return to the finish line if you think you placed, because we might not have Dave Mc's encyclopaedic knowledge of faces and names to put to the prizes. It's good practice to make sure your name was noted.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10005 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR
Course
www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/203675666
Starting from Brittas, riders will turn left off the N81 through Manor Kilbride, then right onto the loop. After 5km, turn left to cross the northernmost bridge on the lakes, and left again on the far shore to go over the finish line. After crossing the line, the race drops down the hill and over a small bridge, just before the speed ramps we turn sharp left for the second lap.

This is a very sharp turn, be extremely cautious! goo.gl/maps/ea2sQ

If you want to see the course in action, the women are racing it tomorrow night, come and marshal, and you can ride the course afterwards.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10006 by Brian Mc
Marshals
We need as many options for lead cars as possible - if you have a car to drive up, please do! The other thing we need to ask is that marshals turn up early - around 6.30pm. This gives the organiser time to brief everyone and assign positions, and for you to get to your position before the race passes through. Remember to sign-on to get your points.

Have a look at www.orwellwheelers.org/orwell-league/marshalling for info on what's expected of you. Remember, be polite and courteous at all times - you have no legal power to stop traffic, only to ask people to please stop.

If you have a replacement, make sure the organiser knows!

Rostered are:

Niall McGuinness
Rodger McMorrow
Brian McNally
Chris Mollaghan
Barry Mooney
Julian Moore
Frank Moriarty
Mark Mulcahy
Brianne Mulvihill
David Murnane
Des O'Brien
Patrick O'Brien
Paul O'Brien
James O'Callaghan
Aishling O'Connor
Donal O'Connor
Ronan O'Connor
Siobhán O'Connor
Barry O'Donnell
Greg O'Donnell
Owen O'Flaherty
Ian O'Keefe
Paul Perry
Gavin Moutray
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Murnane

More
9 years 4 months ago #10016 by Brian Mc
And one upgrade for a strong David Bradley from L to SL.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10026 by Long
Replied by Long on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR
We have been advised by the lads in the inter club league that one of the local garda will be taking a trip out to see how we behave,at some stage during the season, in an unmarked car. So beware.
Some points that the garda has advised us on that are likely to cause issue.
1. Large groups or riders coming together on the road. Race organisers will run races to prevent this happening.
2.Crossing the center line of the road.
3. Inconsiderate parking at start and finish line.
4. Finishing at T- junction. We will be moving the finish line away from the usual place that was the junction to Ballysmutton, to closer to Manor Kilbride.
5. Right turns as part of race route. We have none.
6. How the marshals control traffic. Remember that you can only ask them to stop and advise the motorist of what is happening.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10034 by Brian Mc

Remember that you can only ask them to stop and advise the motorist of what is happening.

Further to this, while marshalling at Brittas tonight, I signalled to one driver to slow down. He asked if I had a permit, and before waiting for a full reply, blew past me and onto the course against the flow of the race. The bunch was strung out at the time, so no danger, but always beware that you can and will meet oncoming traffic, and that cars might not stop at junctions.

There's some great reading under the 'League' section at the top of the page. Relevant here is www.orwellwheelers.org/orwell-league/road-races Familiarise yourself with it, or refresh your memory before Thursday's race.

• Patrick O'Brien
9 years 4 months ago #10038 by Patrick O'Brien
Replied by Patrick O'Brien on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR

Course
Starting from Brittas, riders will turn left off the N81 through Manor Kilbride, then right onto the loop.

Some points that the garda has advised us on that are likely to cause issue.
5. Right turns as part of race route. We have none.

We do have one right turn.

• Patrick O'Brien
9 years 4 months ago #10075 by Patrick O'Brien
Replied by Patrick O'Brien on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR
Results from tonights races which were split into two CP/Handicapped events. In both races, Limit & Semi-Scratch used their head-start advantage to stay away from their chasers. Well done to all the placers.

Race 1 - CP/Handicap - Scratch & Semi-Scratch

1. Mark Holland (SS)
2. John Sower (SS)
3. Ken O'Neill (SS)
4. Freddie Stephens (SS)
5. Barry Dace (SS)
6. Bernard English (SS)

Race 2 CP/Handicap - Limit & Semi-Limit

1. Robbie Dolan (L)
2. Richard Cattle (L)
3. Eoin Byrne (L)
4. Stephen Rowan (L)
5. Killian Doyle (L)
6. Garret Connolly (L)

More
9 years 4 months ago #10077 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR
Upgrades all around!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aidan Collins, Brian Mc

More
9 years 4 months ago #10078 by Ann Horan
Replied by Ann Horan on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR

Upgrades all around!

Hear hear!!

More
9 years 4 months ago #10080 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR
Thanks to the Organisers, Marshals and Drivers for keeping us safe on the road this evening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
9 years 4 months ago #10082 by David Swift
Replied by David Swift on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR
Just a note that there were no marshals at the top of the hill where the old finish used to be. On one occasion a car with a traitor did turn onto the course just as we the Scratch group was cresting it. It's a blind turn for anyone coming out there so a marshal wouldn't go amiss
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
9 years 4 months ago #10086 by Brian Mc
Feedback from the organisers:
  • upgrade all 6 Limit riders who placed as the gap to Semi-limit actually grew
  • SS placers are on notice - next strong result and they're up to Scratch
  • Two no-shows on the marshal list - the committee will be in contact
  • We had one rider drop a lap, and then compete in the sprint and place 3rd. Damien Long has been DQed from last night's results, and is to appear before next League Committee meeting to explain his conduct in last night’s race

Spreadsheet updated at right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dick O'Brien

More
9 years 4 months ago #10088 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR

Just a note that there were no marshals at the top of the hill where the old finish used to be. On one occasion a car with a traitor did turn onto the course just as we the Scratch group was cresting it. It's a blind turn for anyone coming out there so a marshal wouldn't go amiss

Good point Swifty. Was I was too far ahead in the Scratch lead car ? I did see that guy, but decided getting away from the junction was the less risky option.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10092 by Gavin Dodd
Replied by Gavin Dodd on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR

Good point Swifty. Was I was too far ahead in the Scratch lead car ? I did see that guy, but decided getting away from the junction was the less risky option.

I doubt the lead car could have helped avoid it. From my times doing lead car, it's a fine line between checking unmarshalled junctions (signalling out the window to traffic if required at these points), and staying an appropriate distance in front of the bunch.

We shouted plenty of warnings between us anyway - or as much as was possible at that point in the circuit and at that pace!

More
9 years 4 months ago #10095 by Dan Coulcher
Replied by Dan Coulcher on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR

Feedback from the organisers:
  • upgrade all 6 Limit riders who placed as the gap to Semi-limit actually grew

I wondered about that. Limit group worked really well together, good communication & shouts to up tempo if we ever slowed . A lot of fun last night.

Thanks to Dick et al for all the spring race training.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diarmuid Donnelly, Luke GJ Potter, Richard Cattle

More
9 years 4 months ago #10099 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR

I doubt the lead car could have helped avoid it. From my times doing lead car, it's a fine line between checking unmarshalled junctions (signalling out the window to traffic if required at these points), and staying an appropriate distance in front of the bunch.

We shouted plenty of warnings between us anyway - or as much as was possible at that point in the circuit and at that pace!

You're spot on Gavin. I think Gary McIlroy explained this very well in the marshal training that ultimately it comes back to rider responsibility. If you see a car doing a U-turn in the middle of the road in front of you, then apply common sense which sounds like is what happened in this instance.
And like Brian Mc said in his earlier example, cars can ignore marshals too.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10209 by Bryan Geary
Replied by Bryan Geary on topic Club league R6 - Brittas RR

Having been dropped unceremoniously by the hounds in the scratch group I got to see the finish of both races. The lead car in the limit/semi limit group was just that bit too close to the riders in the sprint finish and they were almost up on top of the car past the finish line. At least for the finish, its best if the lead car pulls right ahead of the riders from 3/4 of a mile or so out and gets out of the way quickly in a safe area. the last thing you think of when sprinting is the lead car when you're eyeballs out.

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds